Thursday, April 07, 2005

I started reading Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning last night. Here are some questions I having going into it:
  • How is Frankl going to reconcile extreme tragedy and extreme cruelty with the existential optimism he promotes?
  • How did he survive the loss of almost his entire family without succumbing to bitterness and defeat?
  • Is there a philosophical or religious foundation to his pscychological theories? If so, does he believe that it is necessary for proponents of his theories to share his personal beliefs? What about people who aren't really "deep thinkers"? Are they excluded?
  • How does Frankl's humanistic view differ from Robinson Jeffers' inhumanistic view?

I'm looking forward to reading this book. I read a book a while ago that supposedly applied Frankl's principles to work, and I wasn't terribly impressed. I suspect that the writer portrayed an overly simplistic view of Frankl's ideas, so I'm looking forward to hearing them from the source.

No comments: