Tuesday, November 23, 2004

My 10-year old son beat me at chess last night, and I'm not quite sure how to feel about that. Yes, it was luck, and a stupid mistake on my part, but when it comes down to it, I left a door open for him and he made himself at home. I wish I could say I felt only pride, but mingled in with that was a bit of panic that my son might become a better player than me. Kind of an odd sensation ... I expect it in most of my relationships outside of my immediate family, but I don't usually feel it with my kids, or my wife for that matter. I'm not sure if I feel threatened, but there is definitely something discomforting about the sensation.

There was pride, though, and it was gratifying to see him so pleased with himself for finally beating me. Scary, but it wasn't more than 2 weeks ago that he beat me for the first time at Stratego, which clearly gave him the same sort of satisfaction. I guess I need the practice as much as he does (or more).

No comments: